Saturday, January 5, 2013

Noochits & Cheezy Crunchy Snack Mix


I'm not sure I can really call this a recipe, but! I am including how I do the crackers (I've adjusted my ingredients some), so I'll say it counts.

First of all, the crackers:

One of the downsides to a vegan diet is that it can make snacking a little more difficult and my husband is one heck of a snacker. I made Have Cake Will Travel's Cheezy Quackers a few years ago and he loved them. The problem with my husband loving something is that it disappears very quickly. They are seriously an awesome substitute for Cheez-its, plus I'd like to think they are a little healthier.


I totally took this picture September 2010.
They are super easy to make and bake. Sure, they require rolling out, but it's not like a pie crust in that you mess up and have to roll it out twice and the texture is all wrong. Yay! A recipe that's super hard to mess up!


One of the ways that my recipe differs from Have Cake Will Travel's is that I went with shortening. Why? I had it on hand, mostly. I cut down the shortening to 3 tablespoons from the 4 tablespoons butter from the original recipe (or oil from the spelt recipe) and it wasn't missed at all. I bet it would work similarly with coconut oil, though I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make with a purely liquid fat.  


All rolled out!


All cut up! The main other difference is, as suggested in the original recipe, I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose pastry. Still super tasty and a bit more hearty.

Also: I've been baking a lot more by weights, rather than by volume lately. Number one reason: less baking cups and spoons to clean afterwards! One discrepancy I found with this recipe was the nutritional yeast. The recipe called for 1/3 cup or 40 g. If you look at the weight to volume estimations provided by Bob's Red Mill, you see that there is no way in the world that 1/3 cup would be 40 grams.  As I was pouring in the nutritional yeast as I went, I was noticing it looked like a whole lot more than a third of a cup and this seems to agree with that. Perhaps this is because I was using flakes, rather than powder? With that in mind, my recipe includes a whole lot more nooch per volume, but sticks with the weight measurement.

Onto the mix:

Every time I have mentioned making them since then he has gotten really excited, which is always a good sign for a much loved dish. I made them recently and he suggested that I make sort of a snack mix for him to take to work and while these ingredients were pretty much all I had on hand (roasted and salted almonds and bite sized pretzels), they work quite well together. My favorite way to eat it is one cracker, one pretzel, and one almond thrown into my mouth at once :)

So my version of the crackers, I shall call them:

Nooch-its

1 C whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 C (40 g) nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 t black pepper
1 t kosher salt
3 T all-vegetable shortening
5 T water

Combine flour, nutritional yeast, pepper, and salt together until well mixed in a mixer bowl. Cut in shortening until everything has the appearance of crumbs. Add water and turn the mixer on low until the dough forms a ball. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Roll out the dough about 1/4 inch thick. Cut a a grid with lines about an inch apart perpendicular and horizontal on your dough. With remaining dough that doesn't end up as squares, roll it out and cut another grid. Repeat until there is no more dough.

Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the bottom of the crackers is lightly browned.

Cheezy Crunchy Snack Mix

1 C pretzels
1 C roasted and salted almonds
1 C cheezy crackers

Combine all ingredients and mix until all snack types are evenly distributed. Eat!



Guten Appetit!


2 comments:

  1. Those crackers sound great, but 1/2 cup black pepper? That's got to be a typo, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! I huge typo (the thought of 1/2 cup pepper makes me want to sneeze)! All fixed now, thanks for pointing that out :)

      Delete