Sunday, January 20, 2013

Bell Pepper Cornbread Muffins



I worked at a restaurant in Alabama that served cornbread with peppers and honey butter as a starter for everyone. Lots of people were afraid that they were jalapenos, but all of the peppers were just various colored bell peppers. The corn bread was tasty and the peppers mostly added some pretty color, rather than additional flavor. They were mostly the inspiration for the googling that lead to making these.

That googling led me to this recipe over at amybites for Jalapeno and Bell Pepper Corn Muffins.  And all 9 got eaten by my husband and I at dinner. Oops?

Obviously there was a little bit of tweaking done for this recipe. As mentioned, they weren't spicy, so they just had bell peppers in them. Second, I obviously didn't use egg or dairy milk. I depended on my go-to ground flaxseed for the egg and unflavored soy for the milk. Also, you'll note this recipe includes cheese. I was considering leaving it out, but I had some Daiya in the freezer, so I decided to throw it in. I don't really know how much of a difference it actually made, but it was kind of fun to use.

I will note, that my batter looked tons thicker than the batter from the original website.



I was a wee bit worried when I put them in the muffin tins, but they turned out great, so perhaps my worrying was unnecessary.

And they turned out super! They were moist, a nice hybrid cornbread-muffin combo, that tasted hearty and paired perfectly with our soup. They were super easy to make and I think corn kernels would be a perfect addition, but unfortunately my husband does not. 

You'll notice that I have paper cups (the white ones) and silicone cups (the green ones). I really, really like silicone baking cups for muffins/cupcakes. They come out so unbelievably easy and the cleanup is a breeze. They are also perfect for freezing small amount of liquid in the freezer as anything inside of them pops out easily and you can throw them in a bag or container for storage.

With that aside out of the way... the recipe!

1 C white whole wheat flour
3/4 C cornmeal
2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
1 T ground flaxseed
2 T agave nectar
1 C non-dairy milk
2 T neutral flavored oil (I used sunflower)
2 T water
1/4 C chopped red bell pepper
1/4 C chopped green bell pepper
1/4 vegan cheese (I used Daiya Pepperjack Style Shreds)
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425 F. Prepare 9 muffin tins with silicone cups, paper cups, or bare. Spray tins with cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl; make a well in the center. In a small bowl, combine non-dairy milk, oil, and water. Add to dry ingredients and stir until mixture is just moistened. Stir in the chopped bell pepper and vegan cheese.

Spoon ingredients into prepared tins. Bake at 425 for 10 to 15 minutes or until tops are slightly browned. Cool on wire rack for about five minutes. Serve with vegan butter or alone. 




Guten Appetit!

1 comment: